PRIVACY & SECURITY
IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
- Who we are
- The personal data we collect about you
- How we may store and use your information
- Email newsletter preferences and text alerts
- Personalised banner advertising
- Targeted updates and marketing
- International transfers
- Spoof/false emails
- Your rights
- Third party sites
- Internet Shopping Is Safe Accredited Retailer
- Updates to this policy
- Contact Us
Who is responsible for handling personal data
Marks and Spencer plc ("M&S") is a company registered in England and Wales (registration number 00214436) whose registered office is at Waterside House, 35 North Wharf Road, London W2 1NW. When you purchase items from this Website you will be entering into a contract with Amazon EU SARL, 5 Rue Plaetis L-2338, Luxembourg. ("Amazon") and they will be responsible for processing your personal data. Amazon will therefore be acting as data controller for any personal data captured via this Website. This policy explains how Amazon will use personal data provided to you connection with this Website. Unless otherwise stated the words "we", "our", and "us" used in this Policy will relate to Amazon not M&S.
We respect your right to privacy and will only process personal data you provide to us in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998, the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 and other applicable privacy laws.
If you have any questions about how we collect, store and use personal data, or if you have any other privacy-related questions, please contact us via the 'contact us' section below.
We do not and will not knowingly collect information from any unsupervised person under the age of 18. If you are under the age of 18, you must not use this Website or submit any personal data to us unless you have the consent of, and are supervised by, a parent or guardian.
The personal data we collect about you
When you browse or make purchases from this Website we may collect the following personal data about you:
- your name, age and sex;
- your billing and delivery postal addresses, phone, fax and e-mail details; where you have registered with us, your user name and password;
- where you place an order with us, your payment card details;
- your communication and shopping preferences;
- your browsing and online shopping activities; and
- your date of birth.
How we may store and use your information
Amazon (and third party data processors acting on our behalf) may collect, store and process your personal data:
- to make this Website available to you and to provide you with content which is tailored to your individual tastes;
- with your agreement, to contact you (including by SMS and e-mail) about promotional offers and products and services which we think may interest you and for customer satisfaction and market research purposes;
- to provide M&S goods and services to you and for associated purposes, including verifying your identity;
- for research, analysis, testing, monitoring, risk management and administrative purposes; and
- for any related purposes, or where we have a legal right or duty to use or disclose
- your information (including for crime and fraud prevention and related purposes).
We may share data with M&S for the above purposes.
Amazon will process your payment card details in order to complete any purchase that you make through this Website and, in certain instances, disclose your personal data to third party credit reference agencies to perform credit checks against you. When you place an order with Amazon, they offer to retain your payment card details for your convenience to save you having to re-enter these details on a future occasion. However, if you prefer that Amazon we do not maintain these details, you can go to 'My Account', click on 'Edit or delete a credit card' and delete any card information that Amazon holds about you.
In addition, we or M&S may collect anonymised details about visitors to the Website for the purposes of aggregate statistics or reporting purposes. However, no single individual will be identifiable from the anonymised details that we or M&S collect for these purposes.
In the event that a third party acquires all or part of our business and/or assets, we may disclose your personal data to that third party in connection with the acquisition. Furthermore, we reserve the right to disclose your personal data to third parties as part of any business or asset sale carried out because we ahve gone into insolvency or any similar situation, but only where lawful and compliant with the Data Protection Act 1998. We may also disclose your personal data where necessary to comply with applicable law or an order of a governmental or law enforcement body.
E-mail newsletter preferences and text alerts
- We provide you with the ability to control whether or not to receive e-mail newsletters, or to change the types of e-mail newsletters you receive, through our newsletter preference centre which is accessible by clicking here.
- If you browse this Website you may receive personalised banner advertisements whilst browsing other reputable websites. We are committed to providing you with information on products and offers which are relevant to you. Any banner advertisements you receive will relate to products which have been viewed whilst browsing this Website on your computer or other device.
- If you have agreed that we or M&S can contact you for marketing purposes we or M&S may send you emails and other communications relating to products and services which we think will be of interest and relevance to you as an individual. We and M&S do this by monitoring the browsing and online shopping habits of customers and providing them with information on products they have viewed and related products.
Who sets the cookies?
The cookies stored on your computer or other device when you access this website are set by M&S, our suppliers who partner with us to help deliver a high quality website and on-line shopping experience, and other third parties.
Some cookies are set by or on behalf of M&S and are necessary to enable customers to a make purchases on our website.
Cookies may also be set by third parties who participate with us in affiliate marketing programmes. The most important such third parties are Criteo, Transversal and Rich Relevance who broadcast banner advertisements on behalf of M&S and a number of other reputable companies. None of these third parties collect any personal data from which they would be able to identify individual customers.
What are cookies used for?
The main purposes for which cookies are used are:-
- For technical purposes essential to effective operation of website, particularly in relation to on-line transactions.
- To enable M&S to collect information about the browsing and shopping habits and activities of customers, including to monitor the success of campaigns, competitions etc.
- To enable M&S meet its contractual obligations to make payments to third parties when a product is purchased by someone who has visited our website from a site operated by those parties.
How do I disable cookies?
If you want to disable cookies you need to change your website browser settings to reject cookies. How to do this will depend on the browser you use and we provide further detail below on how to disable cookies for the most popular browsers:-
For Microsoft Internet Explorer:
1. Choose the menu “tools” then “Internet Options”
2.Click on the “privacy” tab
3. Select the setting the appropriate setting
For Mozilla firefox:
1. Choose the menu “tools” then “Options”
2.Click on the icon “privacy”
3. Find the menu “cookie” and select the relevant options
For Opera 6.0 and further:
1. Choose the menu Files”> “Preferences”
2 . Privacy
What happens if I disable cookies?
This depends on which cookies you disable, but in general the site may not operate properly if cookies are switched off. If you only disable 3rd party cookies you will not be prevented from making purchases on this site. If you disable all cookies you will be unable to complete a purchase on this site.
We use Internet standard encryption technology ("SSL" or "Secure Socket Layer" technology) to encode personal data that you send to us when placing an order through the Website. To check that you are in a secure area of the Website before sending personal data to us, please look at the bottom right of your website browser and check that it displays an image of a closed padlock or an unbroken key
However, please note that whilst Amazon takes appropriate technical and organisational measures to safeguard the personal data that you provide to us, no transmission over the Internet can ever be guaranteed secure. Consequently, please note that we cannot guarantee the security of any personal data that you transfer over the Internet to us.
If you are using a computer or terminal in a public location, we recommend that you always log out and close the website browser when you complete an online session for your security. In addition we recommend that you take the following security measures to enhance your online safety:
- Keep your account passwords private. Remember, anybody who knows your password may access your account.
- When creating a password, use at least 8 characters. A combination of letters and numbers is best. Do not use dictionary words, your name, email address, or other personal data that can be easily obtained. We also recommend that you frequently change your password. You can do this by going to 'My Account' and clicking 'Change name, email or password',
- Avoid using the same password for multiple online accounts.
We will never ask you to confirm any account or credit card details via email. If you receive an email claiming to be from us, M&S or outlet.marksandspencer.com or marksandspencer.com/outlet asking you to do so, please ignore it and do not respond.
You have the following rights:
- the right to ask what personal data that we hold about you at any time, subject to a fee specified by law (currently £10);
- the right to ask us to update and correct any out-of-date or incorrect personal data that we hold about you free of charge; and
- the right to opt out of any marketing communications that we may send you.
Third party sites
Updates to this policy
If you have any questions please contact us.